A selection of my writing out in the world, as they say…
Motherish (Turnstone Press, 2018): available through your local bookshop, direct from the publisher, Chapters, Bookshop.org*, and Amazon.
*Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Bookshop.org and I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. I will donate all commissions earned to charities working in literacy and access to books & the arts.
Some articles and conversations about Motherish:
- Carrie Snyder’s interview for Launched, a monthly column focusing on new Canadian books, hosted online by The New Quarterly
- Kerry Clare’s review on her blog site, Pickle Me This
- rob mclennan’s blog interview
- CKUW radio’s Femisphere show; the interview starts around 18:30
- Peterborough Examiner article
My fiction has appeared in literary journals, magazines and newspapers, including The New Quarterly, The Antigonish Review, Southword, U of T Magazine (online), Kindred, The Peterborough Examiner, and more. Some stories have won or been finalists for awards, including the Seán Ó Faoláin International Short Story Prize.
My essay, “Post-American: Variations” came second in The New Quarterly’s 2019 Edna Staebler Personal Essay Contest and was published in Issue #152. It’s currently living behind a paywall on tnq.ca (subscribe to this great journal if you can), and you can also read my blog post about writing the piece.
Thanks to the journal Craft for giving a home to my essay, “Artifacts: On Revising Older Stories” (September 2018).
My book reviews and author interviews have appeared in The Humber Literary Review, The Antigonish Review, The Puritan, and The New Quarterly, among others.
The non-fiction anthology, How to Expect What You’re Not Expecting (Touchwood Editions, 2013) includes my essay, “Missing Data”. The book won a national IPPY award.
Several short essays have been published in The Globe and Mail:
- “Translating My Child’s Pain”, February 18, 2019
- “Our Dream Kitchen was a Reno Nightmare”, December 21, 2009
- “Toy Guns in his Sites”, December 12, 2008
- “Granny Clothes”, April 11, 2008
- “Stealth Vegetables”, October 12, 2007
My 2015 essay, “Annotation: A Recipe“, can be found on the Catapult community site.